it's that time again. i always like this post. it's been a bit more exciting than last year, and a bit more satisfying.
1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
directed a full-length production. produced a fringe show. entered a chili-making competition. participated in a dance performance. wore a massive purple wig and kissed noe's face off. backed kickstarter projects. took a clown workshop/auditioned for ferguson. watched cash cab.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
i didn't make any. i probably won't make any this year. i can already see what my life holds in store for the next few months....possibly into the summer. just accomplishing those things in way that i can be proud of myself will be good enough.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
laura had a little girl. miss shiny penny of the woods. it is time to invest in princess dresses and fairy wings...for myself. i need to be a respectable fairy godmother.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
no. robert left us, but i haven't been in a show with him in years. and of course, carin's dad flew off into his next life; i know him through carin's adoration of him and that is formidable.
5. What countries did you visit?
skyrim. and middle earth. and a few other good places through entertainment means.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
i would like a cuddle date with a red panda, same as last year. this answer refuses to change until i get one. i would also like to pay off my school loan for good and be debt free for the first time in my life.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
opening night of t bone n weasel. closing night of lovers & executioners. five fifths of the princess bride. the arrival of the shiny penny. the week i read the night circus.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
birds of passage. t bone n weasel. and constance.
9. What was your biggest failure?
spraining my ankle during clown workshop.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
see number 9.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
hammer dulcimer. no, i haven't learned to play it yet.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
derek and sarah for being unconditionally encouraging and supportive. the board of pro rata for the same reasons.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
there were a couple of friends that disappointed me and dropped the ball, but not anyone who did anything truly horrible. i suppose i must mention the sandy hook massacre guy. anyone that shoots children is a monster.
14. Where did most of your money go?
fringe and school loan.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
t bone. fringe. skyrim. clowning. L&E.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
"call me maybe" by...i don't know her name. but i like the song.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? same
b) thinner or fatter? same.
c) richer or poorer? same.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
working out. stitching. playing instruments.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
being on the internet at home.
20. How will you be spending Christmas 2012?
downhome with my folks and my sister and my 4 awesome nephews. same as last year.
21. How will you be spending New Years 2012?
i'm not sure. derek may or may not be home by then, and happy MN may or may not have another merry happy new year show. i would be just fine staying home, frankly.
22. Did you fall in love in 2012?
i stayed in love.
23. How many one-night stands?
same answer every year: zero.
24. What was your favourite TV program?
doctor who. the walking dead. downton abbey. sherlock. master chef.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
the night circus.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
i didn't really get into much new music this year. but i do like glasser's album.
28. What did you want and get?
i finally got to direct t bone. a fringe success. constance.
29. What did you want and not get?
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
it was by no means the best film of the year, but i'm going to say that the hobbit was my favorite, because it was the one i was looking forward to above all others, and i enjoyed my return to middle earth.
31. What did you do on your birthday?
i called my dad (it was father's day), attended 4 fringe producer workshops, and megan's wedding reception. i believe derek took me out for sushi a week later, but for the most part, i didn't really get a birfday this year.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
having a computer that didn't break all the time. and maybe like, 4 extra months in the year when i wasn't doing much.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
skirts and tights at work, low-neck t-shirts and jeans on off-hours. lots of yoga pants and rehearsal gear.
34. What kept you sane?
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
the marriage amendment.
37. Who did you miss?
laura. marta. michelle. david.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
it seems like i always meet a million people. this year's hall of fame: theo langason, neal skoy, brian o'neal, josh swantz (technically, i knew him before, but this year's activities put him on my list), jeff larson, jon ferguson, andi cheney, alex hathaway, lauren anderson, andrew pudas, tim cameron, suzy kohane, david darrow, alyssa stafne, amy bouthilette, jennie caweles, and mike the fringe tech. OH!!!! also!!! heather meyer, kelsey meyer, dan and nancy linden, corrinna troth, ursula bowden, and, of course, the incomparable tony rydberg.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
if others aren't providing you with a way to create, do it yourself.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
do you know that there's still a chance for you
'cause there's a spark in you
you just gotta ignite the light and let it shine
just own the night like the 4th of july.